Saturday, February 26, 2011

Saturday, February 26th, 2011: 43/365


As you recall, last Tuesday my scooter and I had a little disagreement....the scooter won. I ended up with my ankle stuck under the scooter. It was bothering me throughout the week but I decided to try and walk it off. It wasn't better by Friday night so I visited a trusty chiropractor friend that used some little tool to see if it might be broken. Because the tool made me feel so much pain, he suggested I go get x-rays. So this morning I woke up and traveled on my scooter, in the rain (seems like the start of a horror flick) to get x-rays at one of the more recommended hospitals close by.

The x-ray technician (who was wearing flippy-floppies and a t-shirt) informed me that I had fractured my tibia and that I would need to wait for the bone doctor to confirm and possibly put a cast on my leg. The bone doctor came about 20 minutes later, saw 5 patients before me (thank goodness for my Kindle) and then delivered the bad news. Fractured tibia. :( Then he examined my ankle which was unbelievably painful and determined that I damaged my tendon as well. 20 minutes and $600ec later, I had a cast and crutches and was ready to go.....except I had driven my scooter there and was alone.

As luck would have it, a fellow kickball player was arriving to the hospital at about the same time I was leaving to have some blood work done. She informed me that it would be about 15 minutes until she was ready to go and she could take me home. A fellow teacher from the Montessori school was there as well and she kept me company for awhile. Then I made a quick call to the guy I rent my scooter from and he offered to come get it for me and drive it home (though he apparently didn't mean MY home because he never brought it here).

All in all, I am very fortunate to have great friends (including some that came to bring Palak and I dinner and great company that night) a smidgen of luck and some extra $ to get me through. 3 weeks from now, I will get the cast removed and will hopefully be as good as new.......

No comments:

Post a Comment